Gang Aft Agley (Due to ‘Acts of God’)
It’s been a while since I last updated, mainly because we’ve been doing so much driving recently. Since Christchurch we have driven the rest of the way down the east coast of the island through Oamaru to Dunedin (which we loved), then on to Invercargill (which we didn’t like at all). Yesterday we drove approximately 400 kms from Invercargill to Milford Sound, then a long way backtracking again because we couldn’t get accommodation. Most frustrating!
Anyway, I shall update you on all of that properly in a later post, ‘cos the purpose of this one is really to inform everyone of our change of plans. In our first blog entry we announced our intention to leave New Zealand and tour Australia. We chose Oz for several reasons:
1. It’s a country with which Pete is already familiar, so it wouldn’t feel too strange as our first foreign destination.
2. It’s a safe country, as far as these things go. We reckoned the worst we’d have to put up with was perhaps being called 'Whinging Poms', or being made to watch Mel Gibson movies or something.
3. There are a whole bunch of people in Oz who we can’t wait to see again.
4. Although there are poisonous snakes and spiders and nasty things like that, I have it on good authority that you hardly ever see them in the cities. (I really hope that’s true!)
Of course, since this decision was made, poor old Australia had had rather a rough time of it. As well as snakes, spiders and Kylie Minogue, the Ozzies have also had to put up with:
- - Those terrible bush fires in Victoria
- Dengue fever in Cairns
- Extreme temperatures in Melbourne and other areas.
So, to Claire, Donna & Pete, and Beccy & Marcus, we send our apologies. Our sympathies are with everyone affected by the horrible events of the last month or so, but we feel that it would be better to wait until things have settled down and the country has had a chance to recover a bit. We will come and visit you all eventually, but it will be later rather than sooner. (Donna and Pete: Keep that cocktail mix chilling for us, okay?)
Our provisional schedule now looks like this:
1. Leave New Zealand and head to Japan for a couple of weeks;
2. Go to America and tour the southern states before summer arrives and we melt from the heat!
It’s a theory, anyway.
I will post again either tonight or tomorrow morning with proper details of what we’ve been up to as soon as I’ve worked out how to upload photographs to my blog pages.
More very soon
Julie & Pete